The Celestial Way (...)

Обсъждаме лични художествени текстове и споделяме идеи за разхубавяването им.

Re: The Celestial Way (Burned Out Project)

Postby Broken Dragon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:59 pm

I am officially calling it off. Changed the title to reflect the fact.

I don't have the strength to do this alone. Not yet. Maybe not even in the future.

Now... I must see how I'm supposed to continue with life.

Damn if this isn't my biggest failure to date.
IN ORDER TO RISE AGAINST THE TIDE, ONE MUST FIRST BE BELOW IT.

Аз съм графист, а не кечист.
(Ама вече разбирам и от кеч, ако трябва)

'Tis I, master of the first floor, aspirant to the last, the Broken Dragon.

Accepting reality since 2017

This post by Broken Dragon received thanks from:
Кал (Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:08 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Broken Dragon

Has been thanked: 415 times

Re: The Celestial Way (Burned Out Project)

Postby Кал » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:14 am

Sounds like a good time to tell you about the biggest failure in my life ... so far. ;) (I probably already have, but there're always new spins to put on it.) Or just talk about some of those self-tripping aspects of writing you mentioned in your previous post.

Would you like to come get me from work one of these evenings? (This month, I'm not going to aikido.) Just give me a call in advance.
Кал
Творчески директор

Has been thanked: 5591 times

Re: The Celestial Way (Revived Project)

Postby Broken Dragon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:10 am

And we're off to Nanorimo again!

Starting Chapter 10 tomorrow (actually, later today), and moving on to Part II of Ascension War!

Here's to victory over oneself and to creative writing!

Кал (Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:55 pm)

Broken Dragon

Postby Broken Dragon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:04 am

After seventeen grueling days, filled with... all kinds of stuff - but also with much misery - I have finally finished Chapter 10.

It clocked at just about 10k words, epigraph included.

Fourth Interlude is next. Hopefully I'll get the emotional impact there right.

Кал (Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:12 am)

Broken Dragon

Postby Кал » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:18 am

От сбирката при Люба насам се опитвам да събера думи, които да ти кажа, но явно все още съм прекалено препускащ/недоспиващ за нещо баш to the point. Ще опитам helter-skelter:

Ако усетиш, че самият процес на писане те изсмуква, вместо да те зарежда, тегли една огромна майна на NaNoWriMo и му дай пауза. За да не се доведеш до състояние, при което след ноември няма изобщо да искаш да си погледнеш текста...

Десет страници всеки ден не е посилно или дори полезно за всички типове пишещи хора. При някои има нужда от междинна акумулация на идеи, от gestation. Ти открил ли си от кои си?
Кал
Творчески директор

Has been thanked: 5591 times

Postby Broken Dragon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 pm

To my continuous chagrin, I've found out for myself that I'm one of the "slow" writers. At least when I'm faced with the grandest enemy of any artistic person - silence. It's possible that "my style" may change when I accumulate enough experience/skill one day, or even if merely my current life situation changes (not necessarily improving - but changing, and drastically at that).

However, when it comes to "The Celestial Way", I'm pushing myself past the limit for different reasons, rather than trying to "prove" myself, or to improve my writing. I'm pushing, because - and I think I've shared this before - I feel it deep down that there's a peculiar Zeitgeist currently going on, one that's (partly) invisible to the world at large, yet nonetheless it represents a golden opportunity for the ideas I've planted in this novel to flourish and have a wider outreach than they otherwise would have if I finished the novel, say, two years from now. To reinforce my point that I'm not imagining things - you remember my idea about a "noir" Pokemon visual novel, right? Well, guess what - a live-action/CGI movie that sports the same premise, with at least 50% overlap, is going out in cinemas on May next year.

Coincidence? Perhaps. But is it so when I feel it for my main project, my much dearer work of art? Yeah, I gotta speed down the road on the double. Rush the gauntlet. Storm the castle. Fuck the casualties. Fight now, heal later. Ad victoriam.

The other reason I'm on the clock with this one is also very personal: it's about my general future in life. If I make the book even half as good as I imagine it to be - well, let's not brag publicly on the internets. But if I fail - on to burger flipping for the next couple or so years. (Which would advance Plan B very furiously forward; but that's another topic) The problem is, I can't take it "slow" in this case either - my financial prospect are becoming more dire with each year, and I've intentionally have been tanking them even further, exactly because I'm betting damn near everything on my nascent writing career - I know, sad, but such is life - and long-standing physical and mental health issues didn't leave me with much opportunity to pick other "useful" skillsets on a professional level. (I do have some pretty deep expertise in various fields, but modern capitalist-driven society has no use - or desire - for them.)

There you have it - short, muddled, unfocused rant about why "Минута е много". It's do or die, and if I can't simply "do it", then I'd rather be like a Russian - умри, ама го направи.

Finally, some shameless plug-in: More alpha readers can't hurt just right about now; Part I is finally "done", and it turned out nice enough that I consider it beta reader-level material. I know this forum is mainly "just us and the gang", but I've talked (politely, not aggressively like some people - *cough*Уейн*cough*) irl with others outside of this social circle, and, well, nobody's interested - or worse, they feign interest, and leave it at that. I've still got some "spare ammo", but I'm saving those for a "big push" - when I'm 3/4 finished with the novel at least, since we're talking "professional peers" here.
Meh, rambling again. I'm gonna just close it, and return to actual writing. Per arda, ad astra.

Кал (Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:28 am)

Broken Dragon

Postby Broken Dragon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 pm

The Fourth Interlude is done. A bit on the lean side, but I thinks it's good enough for now. The ending especially made me very sad, so I guess I did right.

On to Chapter 11. This one should also be relatively short.

Broken Dragon

Previous

Return to Писателска работилница